Storify is among those chronicling the memes popping up after Mitt Romney’s new iPhone app misspelled the name of the country which Romney wants to run. And while we all wish him well on attaining the presidency of Amercia, we fervently hope he will never be the president of America.
Playing off the Obama campaign, which Romney just keeps doing, his team came up with a new tagline. You know how Obama asks, “Are you in?” Well Romney wants you to say you’re “With Mitt.” That this rhymes so closely with “nitwit” seems to have escaped Romney’s strategists.
You’re supposed to use the app to upload a picture of yourself and, choosing one of 14 pro-Mitt slogans provided, post it on Facebook or Pinterest or someplace else that people you know would enjoy seeing it.
Romney’s folks are learning what is meant by the loss of control that goes with social media, as people are using the hashtag #Amercia on Twitter to provide such bon mots as:
- If you’re applying for a job, and you misspell the name of the company you want to work for, you won’t get that job. #Amercia
- Mitt Romney: wrong for wemon, wrong for minotiries, wrong for #Amercia.
- Mitt’s gonna be holding an app designer down and cutting his hair today. #amercia
- Freedmo isn’t free. #amercia
- There’s the confusion: Obama born in USA, not #Amercia
- “Bye, bye Miss #Amercia Pie. Drove my two Caddys to the levee but the levee was dry…”
- Is #Amercia one of those countries where #Romney keeps an offshore bank account?
- I feel suspicious the there is some kind of subliminal message in Romney’s #Amercia. Just can’t put my finger on it yet…
Speaking of suspicions, some on the right are already claiming that Romney’s campaign made the mistake on purpose, just to get all this media attention. Since the gaffe came on a day when Romney finally won enough primaries to take the delegate count at the Republican nominating convention, this seems unlikely. Which of these two things do you think Romney would rather spotlight?
At press time, the Romney team is awaiting the fix.
The “With Mitt” app was still available in Apple’s App Store on Wednesday morning. The Romney campaign has submitted an update to the app and was waiting for Apple’s approval Wednesday morning. No one with the campaign was speaking on the record about it, but staffers were downplaying its importance…